Thursday, February 26, 2009

St. Aloysius Church




St. Aloysius Church

Ash Wednesday February 26

Downtown Detroit

1234 Washington Boulevard (between Grand River and State Street.)




What better way to start the Lenten season by attending Ash Wednesday's service at St Aloysius Church (or St. Al's to the locals). My first trip to St. Al's caught me by surprise. The outside of this community church is deceiving. Unlike others churches built in its time, the facade of St. Al's blends in with the surrounding buildings –sandwiched in what was once a bustling city street of Washington. If you were not looking for this church, you would walk right by while at the same time wondering “what is that beautiful building”.



St. Al's was a real treat for me for several reasons. First, I amazed at the tri-level seating. All seats guarantee an up close personal view of the alter and all its golden beauty. For fans of early Roman Mosaic architecture, this one is a must see.



Second, mass was celebrated by his Excellency, Bishop Allen H. Vigneron. WoW!, what a great day I picked to walk into. I was inspired by the Gospel and his Homily. Bishop Allen H. Vigneron spoke very eloquently as he reminded us why giving up something for lent was important for the coming Easter Holyday.



Third, I brought a friend with me. I like to invite other people to mass with me because I like to share my faith with others and so that they too can appreciate some of Detroit’s hidden gems. My friend was Lutheran but since they also observe the Lenten season, we both thought it would be okay for him to go.


Fourth, I found the Franciscan Friars that have been a part of St. Aloysius Parish for over fourteen years. The Franciscan Friars run a homeless shelter across the street and a coffee shop. All proceeds from the coffee shop go the local homeless people. Here is a good article to read about their coffee:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081230/BIZ/812300347/


St. Aloysius Church

4 Star Rating

1 comment:

  1. this is pretty cool. How about putting your next visit (where and when) in case anyone wants to join you? Its pretty neat that you picked the Mass that was being said by the new Cardinal. I would have liked that one.

    ReplyDelete