Saturday, February 28, 2009

St. Raymond Church


St. Raymond Church
20103 Joann St.
Detroit, MI 48205

Need some quiet time to think and listen? How about an escape from the world and take a moment to think about Jesus, who you are, and who you want to become?

St. Raymond’s Church is built in the center of a bedroom community of small brick and aluminum sided bungalows. This 1950’s Church is a reminiscent to what the surrounding neighborhood used to be. Once you step through its thick heavy wooden doors, you know you’re in a sacred place. The ceramic tile on floor meets the grand marble walls all the way up to the alter and to the top of the cathedral ceiling. The lighting in this Church is really welcoming to the soul as the sun shines through the beautiful mosaic stained glass and ricochets off the marble walls.

There are these grand cubbies built into the walls on either side of the church with statues of the Saints. These Saints welcome you to come and kneel down and pray with them. I lost track of time in this church as all I cared to do was mediate and reflect on my life, family, and the world.

As I sat in the old wooden pews, I wondered what happened to all the families that use to live down here, go to school here, and attend weekly mass here. I wonder if they come in here from time to time? I wonder if the neighborhood surrounding this place might wpuld come alive again? Would this be a place that their kids would want to live in just like their mom and dads did during the 50s, 60s, and 70s? Is it too late to knock down the Mac Mansions of urban sprawl and welcome everyone back to the city?

I know, I know, St. Raymond is not a historic 19 century church, but it is an oasis that offers refuge and beauty to anyone who steps in the doorway. Fr. Bob showed me around the baptism room to the side and the told me the story behind each stained glass window. When you come here, make sure you allow yourself the time to walk around and look at every area of this church because there is something to behold at every glance.

St. Raymond also celebrates mass with a traditional organ and metal pipes. I love music from the pipes – very transient for me. The pipes are in need of restoration so I encourage anyone who reads this to stop by or at least donate to this cause. Call St. Raymond’s for details.

I did not bring my camera with me on this trip so I pulled the only photo I have off the net. Since St. Raymond’s church is on my way to the office, I will stop in one day with the cam and take more pics for this posting. Stay tuned.

See you in church next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment